Yerba Mate Latte Recipe
A yerba mate latte is another so very delicious way to enjoy the health and wellness benefits of this versatile herbal tea!
If you're a tea lover, a latte lover, or both, you're sure to thoroughly enjoy a yerba mate latte (the best of both worlds!).
Not only does yerba mate provide a wealth of health benefits (physically, mentally, and emotionally), but this tea is also a natural source of caffeine and will give you a boost of energy, increased alertness, and improved concentration (just a few of caffeine's many benefits).
Traditionally, yerba mate is sipped through a bombilla (a silver or metal straw with a filtered end) from a gourd (a small cup used for making and serving mate), but you can enjoy this lovely tea just as you would any of your other favorite teas or coffees.
Hot or iced, with or without sweetener, milk, or flavoring, yerba mate is a delicious and versatile drink. A very nice way to appreciate yerba mate is in a latte...
Yerba Mate Latte Recipe
This simple recipe for a scrumptious 12 oz. latte begins with a yerba mate teabag or loose-leaf yerba mate. But, if you prefer a more traditional yerba mate recipe (made with a mate gourd and bombilla), you'll find it here.
- One yerba mate teabag or 1 - 2 heaping teaspoons loose-leaf yerba mate tea (or according to package directions)
- 6 - 8 oz. fresh, delicious water, brought just to the boil
- 4 - 5 oz. of your favorite milk, steamed (coconut, almond, dairy, hemp... or even chocolate milk for a yerba mate mocha, instead!)
- Optional additions to taste, such as sweetener or a generous ounce of your favorite flavored syrup (chocolate, peppermint, almond, vanilla, salted caramel...) - and, of course, milk foam or a dollop of decadent whipped cream, and some ground cinnamon, shaved chocolate, or caramel syrup for the top of your latte!
To make the latte...
- Add the teabag or loose-leaf tea to your (large) favorite cup or mug (an infuser is a good idea if you're using loose-leaf yerba mate).
- Cool the just-boiled water slightly (to 160 - 180F / 71 - 82C), and then add to your cup.
- Cover your mate and let it steep for 3 - 8 minutes, and then remove the teabag or loose tea leaves.
- Stir in the steamed milk.
- Add extras of choice, and top generously with milk foam or whipped cream.
The equipment you already have at home to brew up your favorite hot and cold beverages will work perfectly with yerba mate, too - try making a latte with your espresso machine, and a French press makes a beautiful cup (or cups) of yerba mate, too.
And, to enjoy an iced latte, simply pour your mate latte over ice.
Many people do find mate somewhat astringent to the taste, so you may find that you prefer this tea with sweetener and even milk. A yerba mate latte is a wonderful way to enjoy the health benefits this herbal tea provides, served up as a very tasty, soothing, fragrant latte!
We often think that teas and herbal tisanes can only be served hot (or maybe iced)... but don't be afraid to use your imagination to dream of other ways to include tea in your day!
Not only do many teas make delightful lattes, but teas can also be used in baking and cooking, for their topical benefits (in steams, baths, and compresses), and in numerous other ways around the house and yard.
Yerba mate is such a satisfying, healthful beverage! The next time you're craving a hot, comforting, milky drink, try this yerba mate latte recipe - you'll be glad you did!
More about Yerba Mate Benefits
Yerba Mate Benefits - If you enjoy herbal teas, you'll be hard pressed to find a healthier, more beneficial herbal tea than mate! Read more about the many ways this tea can benefit your physical, mental, and emotional health.
Yerba Mate Benefits & You! - What do you think of yerba mate tea? Why not share your thoughts and opinions about yerba mate and its health benefits with our other readers? And, see what other visitors to our site have to say about mate, as well.
Side Effects of Yerba Mate - Mate is brimming with health and wellness benefits, but be sure to stay informed about any potential side effects of yerba mate before you add this tea to your day.
Yerba Mate for Weight Loss - If you've been thinking of losing a few pounds for health reasons or just to feel a bit better about yourself, here are some of the reasons yerba mate for weight loss might be a good choice for you.
Yerba Mate Recipes - Whether you'd like to learn more about making yerba mate the 'traditional' way, are interested in trying iced mate, or are craving a steamy yerba mate latte, you'll find a recipe here.
What is Yerba Mate? - Get to know the South American Ilex paraguariensis shrub and the flavorful herbal tea made from its dried leaves.