Salabat Recipe - another way to enjoy Ginger Tea!
If you love tea and you love ginger, you'll enjoy this Salabat recipe!
Sip this ginger tea to ward off a cold, flu, or chill when the weather is cold or damp outside; to relieve pain; to settle indigestion, gassiness, or nausea; or simply to lift your mood!
Try this refreshing, nutritious Salabat recipe with your favorite Filipino dishes, or as a wonderfully comforting tea at any time of the day.
This recipe makes 2 - 3 servings - perfect to share with a friend or enough to last you through a rainy or chilly afternoon curled up with a good book.
- 3 cups fresh, clean water
- 2 - 3 tablespoons brown sugar, honey, molasses, coconut sugar, or another sweetener
- 4 - 5 inch piece of good-quality, young, fresh ginger root
- Optional - Additional water, sweetener, and citrus (lemon, lime, or orange slices) to serve alongside, for flavor and in case you find the tea too strong or spicy
To make the Salabat...
- Remove any spoiled, damaged, or old parts from the ginger, and then give it a good rinse with fresh water.
- Scrape or peel off the ginger's skin with a knife or spoon. (Ginger is very flavorful just below the skin, so scrape carefully and remove just the outer skin. You'll be impressed with how well a spoon works for this!)
- Slice the ginger thinly and, if you'd like, crush it slightly using a mortar and pestle. (You can also grate the ginger instead of slicing it.)
- Add the ginger, along with the water and the sweetener, to a saucepan.
- Cover the tea and bring it to a boil over high heat. (Covering the tea helps to retain the ginger's beneficial oils.)
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer the tea (still covered) for at least 10 - 15 minutes. The tea will darken and develop a stronger, more robust flavor as it simmers.
- Strain (this is optional - you can leave the ginger pieces in the tea, if you prefer), pour the delicious, aromatic Salabat into your favorite cups or mugs, and serve immediately.
Now, enjoy this superb tea! Add more water, additional sweetener, and a bit of citrus to taste, as you like. And, don't forget to inhale deeply so you can enjoy ginger's amazing aromatherapeutic benefits, too.
As you experiment with this Salabat recipe, you may find you like more or less ginger or sweetener, and to simmer it for a shorter or longer time - it's all up to your taste buds! :)
Instant Salabat Concentrate Recipe
Instant Salabat is available to purchase, but it's very simple to make your own instant Salabat concentrate from scratch to have on hand whenever you're ready to enjoy some of this enjoyable, rejuvenating beverage.
To make Salabat tea concentrate, make the recipe above, except use about double the amount of ginger and sweetener. After simmering the concentrate, cool it completely, and store it in a covered glass jar or container in the refrigerator for up to a week.
Then, to make Salabat, simply combine equal parts concentrate and water (either cold or just boiled). Mix thoroughly, and add additional sweetener, milk, or citrus, as you'd like.
This Salabat recipe is wonderful - not only is it easy to make, but it makes your entire home smell absolutely delightful while it simmers away! And the end result is a spicy, soothing tea that nourishes your body, mind, and spirit.
All good reasons to add this Salabat recipe to your tea repertoire! :)
Why not try...
- Serve Salabat with a dash of your favorite milk.
- Chill the tea and serve it over ice.
- Add a tablespoon or two of candied ginger or another dried fruit (such as apples, pineapple, or mango) to the saucepan before simmering the Salabat.
Before you try this recipe for Salabat...
One of the reasons why herbal teas are so good for us is because they have wonderful medicinal properties!
However, the active ingredients in herbal teas also mean that not every herbal tea is the best fit for everyone. So, please check with your herbal practitioner or healthcare provider before adding any new herbal tea to your tea stash, just to be sure it's a good choice for you and your family.
And, you can learn more about potential ginger tea side effects and precautions here, as well.
More about Ginger Tea Benefits
Benefits of Ginger Tea - You'll find lots of information about the wonderful benefits of this fragrant, tasty herbal tea for health and wellness here.
Ginger Tea Benefits & You! - If you've experienced ginger tea's benefits for health and wellness, why not share your story with our other readers? And, read what other visitors to our site have to say about ginger tea health benefits, too.
Ginger Tea Recipes - Making ginger tea from scratch is so very simple - and absolutely delicious! Try our recipes for a ginger tea bath and ginger tea compress, too.
Ginger Tea Side Effects - As delightful and healthy as ginger tea is, it's still essential to be aware of any potential side effects and precautions associated with this tea.
Ginger Tea Research - Interested in what recent studies have to say about ginger tea for health and wellness? Drop by our Ginger Tea Research pages.