How to Make Ginger Tea... the Iced Version!
If you've been wondering how to make ginger tea from scratch after hearing about the multitude of health benefits of this amazing tea, you'll find ginger tea recipes here.
Ginger tea is not only wonderfully delicious when served hot, but it is so revitalizing served over ice, as well. And this powerhouse tea doesn't stop there - ginger tea can be used topically in a bath or compress, as well!
To enjoy ginger tea's health benefits, try this simple iced ginger tea recipe. (If you missed our first page about how to make ginger tea, you'll find it here.)
Iced Ginger Tea
Spicy ginger tea makes a completely refreshing iced tea! Try this recipe to make a glass of delicious iced ginger tea for yourself.
- 2 cups fresh, clean water
- 2 - 3 inch piece of good-quality, young, fresh ginger root
- Other tasty additions as you'd like, such as honey or another sweetener, and lemon, lime, or orange slices
To make the tea...
- Remove any spoiled, old, or damaged parts from the ginger, and then give it a good rinse with fresh water.
- Peel or scrape away the ginger's skin with a knife or the edge of a spoon. Try to remove just the skin, if you can, as ginger is very flavorful just below the skin.
- Slice the ginger thinly, and then crush it lightly with a mortar and pestle, if you'd like. You can grate the ginger, instead of slicing it, too.
- Combine the ginger and the water in a saucepan. Cover the pan, so you don't lose any of the ginger's beneficial ingredients while your tea simmers. Then, bring the tea to a boil over high heat.
- Lower the heat, and simmer the covered tea for around 10 minutes. (The tea will darken in color and develop a lovely, rich flavor as it simmers.)
- Strain the tea into a glass or a small glass jug.
- Let the tea cool completely before you pop it into the refrigerator to chill and serve over ice later. (Fully cooling the tea before chilling makes a nice clear - rather than cloudy - iced tea.) Or, if you simply can't wait, pour your tea over lots of ice and enjoy immediately! Add extras as you'd like, such as a bit of sweetener or a slice or two of citrus fruit for extra flavor.
As with any tea, let your taste buds be your guide. If you prefer slightly more or less ginger flavor in your iced tea, adjust the proportions given above until you come up with your perfect iced ginger tea.
Ginger tea can be enjoyed in so many ways... keep reading to find more ginger tea recipes (including a recipe for Salabat, some tips for a ginger tea bath, and how to make ginger tea compresses).
Once you've tasted homemade iced ginger tea, you'll never want to return to bottled iced tea again! :) Iced teas and herbal tisanes made from scratch are so delicious, and provide us with all of the wonderful health benefits of their hot versions.
And, you have complete control over the ingredients when you make your own iced teas - so no surprise ingredients, such as unhealthy additives or sweeteners that are often found in bottled iced teas.
This is the perfect drink - healthy, delicious, and so very refreshing on a hot summer afternoon or evening!
For some additional tips and tricks for making the very best iced tea, visit our Iced Tea Tips page.
Why not try...
- Mix equal parts ginger tea and ginger ale or soda water and pour into an ice-filled glass - so refreshing on a hot summer day!
- Add small pieces of citrus rind when making ice cubes to serve with your iced ginger tea.
- Enjoy ginger tea over ice cubes made from freshly squeezed lemonade or limeade.
- Add some pineapple, cucumber slices, or raspberries to your iced ginger tea.
Now that you know how to make ginger tea...
Be sure to drop by our Ginger Tea Side Effects pages before you mix up a big pitcher of iced ginger tea!
And, ask your herbal practitioner, naturopathic or homeopathic doctor, or other healthcare provider about any potential side effects or risks in drinking ginger tea. She or he can answer any questions you have about whether ginger tea (hot, iced, or used topically) is a good choice for you and your family.
More about Ginger Tea Benefits
Benefits of Ginger Tea - You'll find lots of information about the wonderful benefits of this fragrant, tasty herbal tea for health and wellness here.
Ginger Tea Benefits & You! - If you've experienced ginger tea's benefits for health and wellness, why not share your story with our other readers? And, read what other visitors to our site have to say about ginger tea health benefits, too.
Ginger Tea Recipes - Making ginger tea from scratch is so very simple - and absolutely delicious! Try our recipes for a ginger tea bath and ginger tea compress, too.
Ginger Tea Side Effects - As delightful and healthy as ginger tea is, it's still essential to be aware of any potential side effects and precautions associated with this tea.
Ginger Tea Research - Interested in what recent studies have to say about ginger tea for health and wellness? Drop by our Ginger Tea Research pages.