Ginger Tea Recipes (Hot, Iced, and for Topical Use, too!)
These ginger tea recipes will let you enjoy this soothing, spicy tea to the fullest! Ginger tea is chock-full of benefits - not only when enjoyed as a beverage, but when used in a tea bath or compress, as well.
Whether you prefer your ginger tea hot or iced, plan to steep some tea for a healing ginger tea compress, or are looking forward to a soothing, fragrant ginger tea bath this evening before bedtime, you'll find a recipe here.
Be sure to try our recipe for Salabat, which is a wonderfully delicious Filipino ginger tea, as well.
How to make Ginger Tea
When making these ginger tea recipes, you may find that you would prefer a bit more or less ginger flavor in your tea. If so, simply adjust the proportions of water to ginger the next time you make the recipe. You can also add some just-boiled water or a bit of citrus or milk to your freshly made tea if you find it too strong.
This ginger tea recipe makes 1 - 2 servings, but it increases very well. Simply adjust the amounts as you need to make additional cups or even a pot of fragrant ginger tea.
- 2 cups fresh, clean water
- 1 - 1 1/2 inch piece of good-quality, young, fresh ginger root
- Other additions to taste, such as milk, honey (or another sweetener), or citrus (lemon, lime, or orange slices)
To make the tea...
- Cut away any spoiled, old, or damaged bits from the ginger, and then rinse the ginger well with fresh, cool water.
- Scrape or peel away the skin of the ginger with a spoon or a knife. (Scrape carefully and take just the skin so you don't lose any flavorful ginger - the edge of a spoon's bowl works very well for this!)
- Thinly slice the ginger and, if you'd like, smash it a little with a mortar and pestle. You can also grate the ginger, rather than slicing it.
- Add the ginger and the water to a saucepan and cover (this helps to retain the ginger's beneficial ingredients). Bring the tea to a boil over high heat.
- Lower the heat and simmer the tea (still covered) for about 10 minutes. As it simmers, the tea will darken in color and develop a richer flavor.
- Strain the tea (or leave in the pieces of ginger, if you'd rather enjoy them with your tea), and pour the steamy liquid into some pretty china cups or your favorite big mug. Touch up your tea, if you'd like, with a bit of milk, some sweetener, or a slice or two of orange, lemon, or lime for flavor.
That's it! Now, enjoy your delicious, fragrant ginger tea! Inhale deeply to enjoy this tea's aromatherapeutic benefits, and savor that first enchanting sip.
Ginger is such a versatile, beneficial tea! Why not try our recipes for iced ginger tea, Salabat, a ginger tea compress, and even a refreshing, detoxifying ginger tea bath, as well?
We have so many beautiful teas and herbal tisanes available to us nowadays in loose-leaf or bagged varieties, but making ginger tea from scratch is an amazingly rewarding and delicious option.
Once you've tried this home-made ginger tea recipe and realized how simple and quick it is, you'll want to keep some ginger root on hand so you can enjoy ginger tea (and its many health benefits) whenever you want.
Why not try...
- Create your own unique tea (hot or iced) by adding hibiscus, black, or chamomile loose-leaf tea or teabags to ginger tea.
Before you make these ginger tea recipes...
Herbal teas contain active ingredients (such as the gingerol in ginger tea), and it's these active ingredients that provide many of the wonderful and impressive health benefits we enjoy from herbal teas.
However, these active ingredients also mean that herbal teas can react with other herbal remedies or over-the-counter or prescription medications. So, if you're currently being treated for any health concern, please consult with your healthcare professional before adding large amounts of any new herbal tea to your diet. You can also learn more about potential ginger tea side effects, risks, and precautions here.
More about Ginger Tea Benefits
Benefits of Ginger Tea - You'll find lots of information about the wonderful benefits of this fragrant, tasty herbal tea for health and wellness here.
Ginger Tea Benefits & You! - If you've experienced ginger tea's benefits for health and wellness, why not share your story with our other readers? And, read what other visitors to our site have to say about ginger tea health benefits, too.
Ginger Tea Recipes - Making ginger tea from scratch is so very simple - and absolutely delicious! Try our recipes for a ginger tea bath and ginger tea compress, too.
Ginger Tea Side Effects - As delightful and healthy as ginger tea is, it's still essential to be aware of any potential side effects and precautions associated with this tea.
Ginger Tea Research - Interested in what recent studies have to say about ginger tea for health and wellness? Drop by our Ginger Tea Research pages.